Sunday, June 27, 2010

Words Cannot Describe . . .

It's time to face facts. Words such as bountiful, prolific, abundant, and thriving simply do not describe my garden. It is a darn good thing that my family doesn't depend on my farming skills to put food on the table each night. If that were so, words like tragic, unfortunate, sorry charlie, and too bad so sad would come in to play.

My plants are scraggly. Puny. I didn't realize how much until I visited Todd Ames this weekend. He had tomato plants six feet tall, industrial sized stakes needed, thank you very much, to hold up the bounty of fruit being produced. I coveted. I know thou shalt not, but I did. If I tried to tell you I did not, I would be lying, which is another thou shalt not, so I'm kinda stuck on this one.

I have harvested a few cherry sized tomatoes, and a couple of ping-pong ball sized ones. If not for the generosity of my neighbors and mama, I might be tomato starved this summer.

I can't understand it. I prepped the soil. I've mulched, not watered, then watered. Slapped on some Miracle-Gro when things got really desperate. (Sorry, oh organic ones. I have fallen short of the glory.) And yet, puny.

I've given you sunshine, I've given you rain, you've given me nothing, but heartache and pain! I'm begging you sweetly, I'm asking you please, please, grow for me!

Who knows how much longer this garden blog will go on this summer, but take heart. You can read my Lake Wylie restaurant reviews, and other blogs on Lake Wylie living and real estate. Thanks for reading!

No comments: