Sunday, May 4, 2008

Heirloom Tomatoes


There's quite a buzz around local farmer's markets and nurseries about heirloom tomatoes. Exactly what is an heirloom tomato, and what makes it so? Wikipedia says, "An heirloom tomato is an open-pollinated (non-hybrid) tomato. Heirloom tomatoes have become increasingly popular and more readily available in recent years." There is a debate on how old these seeds must be. "Some say the seeds must be over 100 years old, others 50 years, and others prefer the date of 1945 which marks the end of World War II and roughly the beginning of widespread hybrid use by growers and seed companies."

Regardless, heirloom tomatoes have a reputation of the tastiest on the planet, and have colorful stories to go along with their colorful names. I have a couple of friends who have nurtured a crop of heirloom varieties bearing such names as "Kellogg's Breakfast", "Mortgage Lifter", "Omar's Lebanese" and "Soldacki". I was the lucky recipient of ten varieties, and have planted them in my garden. Harvest time will be quite an adventure, as the tomatoes are all different shapes, sizes, and colors.

Google is my friend, so I do a little research to figure out what to look for in ripeness. I could, for example, wait an eternity for the traditional red color, only to learn that my plant yields orange fruit.

The Kellogg's Breakfast, for instance, is a yellow-orange beefsteak tomato with a fantastic sweet, tangy flavor. The Soldacki is a Polish, potato leaf plant that yields dark pink fruit, described as intensly lucious. Omar's Lebanese produces giant, 3 pound tomatoes with a rich pink hue. Julia Childs are lightly fluted (whatever THAT means??) with robust flavor. Hmmmm . . .

Then theres the Paul Robeson: a Russian heirloom named after the operatic artist who won acclaim as an advocate of equal rights for Blacks. This "black" beefsteak tomato has deep, rich colors that stand it apart from others. Very flavorful with "earthy, exotic flavors". It originated in Siberia, however, which I believe has a climate vastly different than South Carolina. We'll see how this one fares!

Then I have a couple of plants that are total mysteries, because I couldn't read the labels. No worries. My garden typically has a few surprises, because I like to grow exotic things and have a tendancy to forget what I plant.

I am so excited about my garden this year! Pray for rain, and stay tuned!



For more information on living in Lake Wylie, Clubs and Organizations in Lake Wylie, Resources for Newcomers to Lake Wylie, visit http://www.thelakewylieman.com/!

No comments: