Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bunch of "Suckers"

In my ongoing investigation of the fruitlessness of my heirloom tomatoes, I was recently asked the question, "Have you suckered your plants?" Say what? Turns out that the nutrients of the tomato plant can be misdirected to LEAVES instead of FRUIT, and the gardener needs to trim off perfectly healthy branches so that fruit will grow!

Here I was PROUD that my plants looked so beautiful and full - - and now I find out that I need to whack the branches off. Last week I was shaking my plants, this week I'm mutilating the branches! My tomato plants are beginning to regard me with quite a bit of apprehension!

Stay tuned.


For more insight about gardening and living in Lake Wylie, please visit our Lake Wylie living and real estate website!

No comments: