Sunday, April 17, 2011

Plowing the fields

My dear husband tilled and hoed the lower 40 yesterday.  (The lower 40 square feet, that is . . . )  That is particularly impressive if you consider that he is a strict meat-itarian, and shuns most vegetation, including the Almighty Tomato.  Yet each year he tills the soil and hoes the rows so that I can play in the dirt.  Is that true love, or what?

The wind was brutal yesterday, and I wasn't able to get much planting done.  We had 4 ft swells in the cove, and that's pretty amazing considering we have about 2' water depth.  I'm talking that wind was STRONG.  I tried to plant some parsley seeds and they blew all over tarnation.  I suspect my neighbor across the cove may have a lovely crop of Italian flat leaf parsley this year.

We did visit Lowe's during the torrential rain yesterday.  Purchased a 75' soaker hose for the tomato plants, some organic fertilizer and compost, and another hundred dollars worth of stuff while we wandered around the place waiting for the rain to subside a bit.  We decided that shopping at Lowe's during a heavy rainstorm was equivalent to grocery shopping when hungry.  Not a good idea if watching the budget.

This morning has dawned sunny and beautiful, and the trees are still . . . so happily I should get my garden planted!

Thanks for reading my blog.  To read more about Lake Wylie real estate, or Edgefield Stoneware Pottery, or fire damage repair and other completely unrelated topics, please visit the websites of my delightful clients and friends!

No comments: