Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Settling In

It's always a bit tough getting used to a new home, right?  After growing up in the greenhouse, it must be quite a change for all the little plants to get their own piece of earth in the garden.  For the tomatoes, they had to adjust from the fine care of Tomato Man Phil, who inspires a "can grow" attitude amongst his proteges, to the cautiously hopeful ineptitude of, well, me.  The rest of the plants, accustomed to the Lowe's landscape and garden staff who are constantly spritzing and kabitzing, have to adjust to the loneliness of Jan's garden.  Not to mention the threat of rabbits, deer, slugs, and such.  Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Quite an adjustment, for sure.  The first morning after planting, I checked on all of my charges and with the exception of the little okra plant that was puny from the get-go, they all looked good.  Morning #2, however, a couple of okra plants looked like they had a rough night.  Too much fertilizer, perhaps?  Or perhaps separation anxiety?  After all, the okra had about a dozen plants in the same pot when I bought them.  I had to separate them like Siamese twins - - a tricky procedure, indeed.  I watered the okra, left for work, and hoped for the best.

Forecast for tomorrow thru the weekend - - rain and storms.  We'll see what these little plants are made of.  Live strong.

Thanks for reading my blog.  For more about Lake Wylie waterfront, Edgefield Pottery, Lake Wylie dock building and stuff like that, visit the websites of my friends and clients!

No comments: