Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Secret of Neglect

Here it is, six weeks after my last garden blog, and I have to admit that I've done precious little in my garden during that time.  With a high school senior graduating later this week, our time has been spent during end of year concerts, trips, award ceremonies, etc.  Not a lot of time to play in the dirt.

Considering out rain levels have resembled that of the Amazon, I certainly haven't had to water.  I did spread some straw around my plants to hold the moisture in and protect them from the intense heat of the South.  Recently I heard one of my neighbor's quip, "In July, they shut down Hell and just use South Carolina."  Yeah, it can get hot.

Anyway, with no credit to me, my garden is actually doing quite well!  I have fruit on most of my tomato plants, and have harvested one tiny yellow pear tomato, which I ate right off of the vine.  My squash plants have gorgeous yellow flowers and several baby squash.

I've harvested some herbs, using dill, flat leaf parsley, and chives in some rather awesome potato salad for Memorial Day. 

I do have a couple of concerts at this point:  some of the leaves on my tomato plants are yellowing and spotted.  Too much water, perhaps?
Also, my okra is nothing short of a disgrace.  It is almost the same size as when I planted (about 4-6 inches tall).  A couple of the plants are trying to produce okra, and it is pretty pitiful!  Babies having babies.  Todd Ames suggested that deer have been munching the okra plant leaves. I haven't seen any evidence of deer, but there have been some very suspicious bunnies in the area. 

Stay tuned!

Thanks for reading my blog.  For more Lake Wylie Information, and links to Lake Wylie Homes for Sale, visit the websites of my clients and friends!  I'm going to contact Phil of Edgefield Pottery for some tomato advice.  He'll know what to do about those spots!

No comments: