Thursday, June 2, 2011

Garden Tragedy Averted

In my last post, I mentioned a bit of concern over my tomato plants, which had some spotting on the leaves in recent weeks.  I hypothesized that the condition was from too much rain . . . but luckily I asked for a second opinion!  Tomato expert and Edgefield Pottery guru Phil Wingard informed me that the situation was quite dire!  My plants had contracted a leaf canker -- which is highly contagious!
Phil advised me to remove the infected leaves immediately to prevent further spreading.  He told me to either burn the leaves or put in the trash and haul far far away . . . Don't put them in your compost or simply drop them in the garden!

Phil told me that yellowing leaves are a sign of nitrogen deficiency, but when dark brown spots, surrounded by lighter brown inside the yellow appear, that is a sign of something much more sinister.  After trimming all of the infected leaves off of my plants, I had quite a pile of debris:

 
Into the trash it went, and hopefully my plants are healthier and happier today.  I suppose I need to be more vigilant on checking for irregularities.  After all, tomatoes are at stake!

(Get it?  Tomato stake?)  Okay, so maybe I'll concentrate my efforts on botany instead . . .

Thanks for reading my blog.  For more great Lake Wylie information and Lake Wylie homes for sale, visit the websites of my clients and friends!

No comments: